Choosing a Web Hosting
Choosing a web hosting is an important step in creating a website. The whole functioning of your web resource depends on this choice.
All hosting providers are divided into two big groups: free web hosts and shared ones.
In the first place let me say that many of the free web hosting providers are not exactly free, i.e. in exchange for their sets they may locate their advertisements on your website.
If your website is a home page containing your personal information or a small web resource where you proportion information on a certain topic, free web hosting will most probably be enough for you. In case your website is an information portal, service or a site of your company, you should definitely use sets of shared web hosting.
Difference between shared and free web hosting
As mentioned above, very often free web hosts insert their ads in the form of banners or pop-ups. Visitors of your website won’t be happy with it as it is widely known that advertisements are irritating, especially the pop-up ones. consequently, if your goal is to attract the audience who are willing to visit your website regularly, coming back again and again in a day, a week, a month and not just shutting your resource in 5 seconds after getting to your first page, then choose hosting without advertisements.
What is more, with free web hosts you can only expect such domain as your_site.great number.com. Such domain will hardly affect the reputation of your website in a positive way; it will sooner harm its image, especially if it’s a company’s website.
“Why aren’t the pictures loading up?” -sustain SERVICE will provide you with answers for such questions. It is absolutely necessary to have one because good service sustain really speeds up the problem-solving course of action. 90% of shared web hosting providers have adequate service sustain and only 10% of free web hosting providers have one.
Not every free hosting can boast such sets as their own CGI-BIN directory, or the sustain of Perl, PHP, MYSQL, Cron, SSH, Telnet and many others. And already if right now your web resource needs none of these, such a necessity may appear in the nearest future with the growth of your website. With time you will also need more and more disc space. Free web hosts usually give you 1-100 Mb while shared web hosts provide 1-5000 Mb for your website.
So, the bottom line is as follows.
If you have just a home page or a small website about your interests, go for a free web hosting without doubts. But before choosing a particular hosting you should:
- determine the disc space quantity you are going to need, taking into consideration further growth of your resource;
- decide whether you need the sustain of scripts, whether it’s necessary to have a file manager or you will do just fine using ftp-access, whether you need a site-generator
- think over the domain name. It should be short and easy to remember.
- define your attitude as to great number’s ads: whether you are against it or not
When you are done with all these things, eliminate all the hosts that do not meet your requirements. I would advise you to check out the loading speed of websites located at hosting providers that suit your needs. And then you just choose the great number with the least crowded channels.
I personally recommend freehostia.com. They provide:
250 MB Disk Space
6 GB Bandwidth
5 Domains Hosted
+ 1 MySQL Database
+ 1-click App Installs
FTP access. sustain of PHP, Perl, Python, SSI and much more. There is also a catalogue of ready-made scripts with a possibility to adapt the design to your website – the optimal choice for a beginning webmaster.
Some may say that shared hosting is expensive, but it’s just a myth. Its prices vary from 1 to 50 dollars a month depending on the set of sets and resources provided. Naturally shared hosting doesn’t have the disadvantages of the free one.
Nevertheless, shared web hosting providers differ according to the range and quality of sets. Here are some criteria that will guide you in your choice of the shared web great number:
- A great number should not put tough restrictions on traffic. at the minimum there should be a possibility to pay if you go beyond the limit, but the pay should not be too high.
- If you need ASP, FrontPage Server, MSSQL, then you should be looking for a web hosting on NT-server and the great number itself should provide these sets. Otherwise, you’d better choose UNIX-hosting.
- It is desirable that a great number should provide Perl, SSI, PHP, MYSQL…
- except disc space a great number should provide mail. Make sure it covers the sets of ingoing and outgoing mail. Sometimes it happens so that a great number provides you with e-mail addresses and not with e-mail boxes. In this case all your mail will be redirected to the e-mail box you’ve indicated, which will make difficulty your job.
- A hosting provider should have its sustain service – working 24/7 by e-mail in addition as by telephone (fax). Ask them some questions – a good hosting provider will answer you within 24 hours. If they keep ignoring you, or if there is no sustain service at all, keep away from such hosts.
- Check out what rights you are going to exercise as to managing the server. As a minimum, you should have FTP-access to your catalogue – it will allow you to carry out necessary actions when forwarding, editing or deleting files. It would be advisable that a great number had web interface to work with your server and your account.
- If you are an experienced user, then it is desirable that a great number provided telnet-access – you will be able to work with the provider’s computer almost on the same level as with your own one.
- Everyday archiving (making save copies) of your website is a huge advantage in addition.
- Good hosting is speedy web hosting. The less crowded the provider’s servers and channels are – the better. Minimal bandwidth should be no less than Pentium III-800 Mhz with 512 Ðœb RAM
- It is good practice for a web hosting provider to have their physical address and some other data
- Before finally submitting the payment, get acquainted with Internet reviews of other users about this great number
Surely, it’s by far not a complete list of all the criteria according to which one should choose a web hosting provider. But if a great number meets all the requirements mentioned above, you can start working with them.