If you’re visiting the Philippines for a vacation, choose to skip the usual places and instead book a stay at a resort in Guimaras. While the province is not on the top of many travelers’ list as a holiday destination, it holds wonders that will surely entice you to visit for a day or more. Here are some things about Guimaras that you should know:
1. It is an island province located in the Western Visayas vicinity in the Philippines. Guimaras can be found in the Panay Gulf, flanked by Panay and Negros. It used to be part of a bigger province – Iloilo – before becoming one on May 22, 1997. This fact makes it the youngest province in this Philippine vicinity.
2. Iloilo is the main point of entry to Guimaras. From the Parola and Ortiz Wharf downtown, you can take a 15-minute ride via a motorboat to get to Jordan, Guimaras’ capital.
3. Hiligaynon is the dialect mainly used by the locals. Not to worry, though, as the people here also speak and understand English.
4. Guimaras is chiefly known for its mango industry. The island has about 8,000 hectares of mango orchards, which are run and supervised by either individual growers or big corporations. These orchards are said to produce the best export quality mangoes, considered as one of the sweetest varieties in the world and certified pest-free by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. They are sold in its fruit form or made into delicacies like dried mangoes or mango jams.
5. Tourism is also big in Guimaras. Aside from its mango orchards, the province is also known for being a tropical holiday destination. It boasts white-sand beaches, crystal clear waters, a bountiful marine life, and already secluded islets. These features make Guimaras an ideal choice for travelers who wish to enjoy water sports or simply soak up the sun.
6. Dry land activities can be enjoyed here, too. For guests who wish to opt out on the usual swimming or diving, Guimaras’ tough ground offers them something else to do. The more adventurous tourists can go mountain climbing or biking, rappelling, or island hopping.
7. Visitors can find a slew of top-notch hotels and resorts in Guimaras. Costa Aguada Island Resort is one of them, found in Inampulugan Island. This Class AA resort is one of the similarities that promote eco-tourism in the province, being set in an island covered with virgin forests and inhabited by various species of wild life. This factor provides travelers not only with a beautiful place for their vacation, but a tranquil and private retreat in addition. Similar lodgings abound in addition – you can ask the staff at the Tourism Center near Jordan Port for information on where to stay in Guimaras.