If you have the habit of drinking while under the influence or alcohol or drugs, there is a high chance that you may get arrested by the police anytime. In the event of an unfortunate incident like that, the police forces inspect the damages that you have caused and inflict a punishment of heavy penalty charges or jail sentence or both. It becomes very difficult for you to challenge this decision when you don’t have a proper legal expert defending you. This is why you need to hire the right DUI lawyer so that he can bail you out of these situations easily using his skill and experience. You need to careful examination and ask the right questions to your expert before hiring him. You are going to entrust him with the responsibility of protecting you in an emergency. Hence, you need to be sure that he is the best. Here are some of the mandatory questions that you should ask your legal expert, before hiring him to bail you out of a drunken driving case.
1. Work experience
Needless to say, the first and foremost question that you should ask your attorney should be about his work experience. Your questions can be on the following lines:
– Is he a specialist in DUI situations only or does he deal other situations in addition?
– How thorough is he with the local drinking & driving rules of your locality?
– On an average, how many such drunken driving situations does he take up in a year?
– What is the average case completion history?
– What is the general strategy adopted?
– How many such clients has he represented so far and how many has won out of them?
2. Your specific case
After understanding about his background, you can then proceed to ask him questions about your specific case. Examples of some questions that you can ask him in this matter are:
– What should be my first course of action?
– Should I go by these tests?
– Are you aware of the equipment used for testing?
– Should I negotiate or fight it out?
– Honestly, what are my chances in this case?
– What are the strengths and weaknesses of this case and how can you play around the same to my assistance?
3. Pricing details
This is an important question to ask your attorney so that you do not confront any unpleasant surprises in the form of hidden charges later on. You can ask questions like the following:
– What is the frequency of payment you prefer – per session, per hour, per month, etc.?
– What is your preferred mode of payment?
– What is the breakdown of your fee and why do I need to pay certain charges?
– Can I expect any future charges?
– Can I have a written confirmation that I am not expected to pay anything additional other than the discussed terms and about the other costing terms to avoid confusions in the future?